Monday, February 27, 2012

The Starving Tape Worm - Part 1



As I started to put this Blog together... I saw that this entry was quickly turning into a chapter and decided that I needed to break this into pieces, so it was easier to digest.     


The Starving Tape Worm Part 2 will be delivered Next Monday...


I realize,  the Q&A below is focused on eating and  race prep for cross and that season isn't until fall... please know that the Q&A was just a great excuse to help me cover some good information and hopefully make what I hope to be a few important points.  What I'm really hoping to share with you is this...

Whatever you specialize in... be it road, mountain, Tri, whatever... determining your nutrition protocol, timing and then establishing a  disciplined plan and sticking to it...  is half the battle in getting to the podium.  We all know that, but sometimes it helps to be reminded of it.


Okay, now on to the message for the week.

A few months ago, I received an email from a guy who did some piece work for Cyclocross magazine. He was really interested in the subject of nutrition among elite CX racers and said that he had reached out to a number of cross racers with a list of questions in hopes of compiling some nutritional data…

As flattered as I was… a tiny monologue starting droning through my head…

For God sake Sarvary… unless caffeine is considered a food group, your diet is sketchy at best. I bet that when you die, if there’s an autopsy done, there is a strong possibility that they’ll find an emaciated tape worm with a tiny handmade sign that reads Please! Find me a new host… this one sucks!”

Don't get me wrong... my diet “on” the bike is great, and in comparison to lots of folks... my diet off the bike isn't so bad either but considering how active I am, I simply don't eat enough, as crazy as that sounds, food has never been that important to me. In other words... I get distracted and simply forget to eat and when it occurs to me, I say hey... I'll just wait for the next meal! Go figure!

Hmm. I wonder if it’s possible to be charged posthumously for parasite abuse… ? Sorry.. I’m off in the weeds, I’ll try to get back on subject!

To set the record straight.. I don’t have a tape worm!! At least there’s no indication of one… I mean, I would have some tape worm type symptoms right?????

I actually find Tape Worms, although disgusting, and quite fascinating at the same time. You could say they are the ultimate wheel sucker… but, not my wheel of course! I have enough issues to deal with.

So, back to the topic of nutrition. Have I totally grossed you guys out yet??? :)

Do to the timing of his request for nutrition info, (it came a few weeks before headed out to Madison), I unfortunately didn’t have time to respond.

The subject of nutrition is a great one to discuss, not to mention an important one to many of our customers, before the season kick off in full swing.    

So, let's start with the emailed questions along with my answers... and then we'll take if from there.

                                                                     Emailed Q&A

#1 Q - What time does your race usually start?    A - Normally 10:00am 

#2 Q - (I added in this question)  How long is your race?  A -  45 minutes, but when you factor in warm up, etc. let's call it an hour.  

#3. Q. What do you eat for each of those time points and almost more importantly, do you have specific reasons why you eat it?  

A. - With a 10:00am start, wake up at 6:00am, Cup of coffee and a pop tart... on the course by 7:00am for course check out, no longer than a hour. 

8:00 – 8:30  Second cup of coffee, about 8 - 10 oz. smoothie made of OJ, Hammer w/Soy, banana, frozen berries, low fat yogurt

9:00 – Start drinking Hammer Heed (and try to get about 1/2 bottle into my system)

9:45 Take a GU Jel or Hammer Jel Pac 

10:00  Roll to the line and race (no food or fuel is eaten on the bike in cyclocross, so it is important to pre-fuel for the race)

#4. Q. - Do you have any self-imposed rules or guidelines? A - I always stick to may pre-race game plan... I never wing it... don't deviate from my plan if possible. Success for me is all about routine. Keeping it simple, minimize the drama... no skidding in sideways at the last minute. Plenty of time to get ready, look at the course, get my stuff organized, lots of room for error... yada, yada, yada. Don't panic if something goes wrong...it doesn't help matters. Plus... panic is never pretty,

#5. Q. How soon do you eat and do you always eat the same thing? A - I think I answered the question in #3.  My pre-race meal is very consistent. For years it use to be a cup of coffee and a chocolate glazed donut and then I started racing with the Flea (Karen Tripp) and she introduced me to the Pop Tart and Smoothie routine... I prefer the new pre-race meal to the old one. It is the same every weekend, pop tart and smoothie... 

Regarding pre-race meal timing... that is critical!!!!

Eating too soon before the race will result in the smoothie showing up all over the front of your race kit.... not, cool.  To early in the morning, and you will be hungry half way through the race.  Neither is a good thing.  So pre-race meal timing is very important. 

#6. Q - How late into the night before the race do you eat? A – Because I eat with a few of my teammates, it's a little later than normal... normally around 8ish, but it seems to work out fine.

#7.  Q - What is your morning like between races?  A - We do our best to minimize the stress.
After course chech out, it's all about staying off our feet and getting ready for the pre-race warm up and then the race.  Getting some Heed into our system and making sure we're not burning needless energy.

We do make sure we change into dry race clothes after we check out the course, you don't want to go to the line in a damp kit... even if it's warm outside, it's just not healthy.  So, that's all part of the routine.

#8.  Q  Does beer and wine factor into race prep/recovery at all?  A- Are you kidding???!  We're cross racers!! Of course, but in moderation.  2 beers are my limit the night before a race and in bed by 10:00pm.  I also allow myself a beer after the race, it's a good way to wind down, a great way to get some carbs on board.  For me, the more serious the race, the less beer I drink... more an issue of nerves than anything else...

                                                                              End of Q&A


As the winter turns to spring, more and more riders are coming into the shop looking for nutritional help. The days of riding with only water or Gatorade in their bottles, just isn't cutting it any more. And with that said...That will be the focus of Part 2 of the Starving Tape Worm.. I took the time and drank a fair bit of coffee, and did some nutritional research that I will share with all of you that will hopefully help you in your upcoming cycling  


Have fun this week, Safe riding...

Talk to you soon,


The Peanut Gallery