Saturday, May 19, 2012

ATTITUDE CHECK!!!!


Okay!!!! OKAY!!!!! 

I realize it's been a bit of a tough start to Spring... but it's time to buck up Sports Fans. 

I mean... come on. If being a rider was easy... everyone would be doing it... right??? :)

So... I have to admit. Over the past week or so, I've been suffering from a bit of an attitude problem myself.  Not that the rain was bad enough... but then...

I came down with a sore throat, that turned into a head cold... and not your garden variety head cold, mind you.

OOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOO!  

I came down with one of those raging, snorting, gotta blow your nose every 2 seconds, or you're gonna drip all over the customers, kinda head colds.



Trust me... I sure could have used these!!!

And theeeeeen... the coughing started...   And THAT, was almost enough to put me over the edge.  Because every time I coughed... my nose exploded... 

So... I've sniffed through the past 9 days like a 4 year old... with a faucet for a nose.  Customers have had to deal with me, snorting though conversations.  All the while, I'm telling them, I'm no longer in an infectious state... attempting in vein not to contaminate the nation ...  

And to make matters a little worse..... I was a grouch, I was trying really hard not to be a grouch... but I'm sure I was grouchy...



UGH, the poor customers...  
 
Dear God!   I hope I didn't infect anyone!!! 

Wow... I feel so much better now that I've shared that, with all of you!!! :)


BUT NOW I'M STARTING TO FEEL BETTER... SO, LET'S RIDE!!

I know it's tough to get yourself motivated to go out in the rain and ride... it means both you and your rig get wet and grimy. But that's what rain gear was invented for... plus you won't melt, the bike will survive, and it's getting warmer... so don't be a bunch of babies.

Plus... you don't want any of that early season fitness to go to waste, nor do I need to remind you, that you are beginning to bug the hell out of your families and co-workers... because you haven't gotten your endorphin fix in awhile and you are WAAAAAY over due!

One way to mix things up a bit, is to go out and do a sprint work out... Why you might ask???
  
Well... 4 reason, actually:
#1.   It can be cranked out in an hour... not a lot of suffering in the rain or mist... or whatever mother nature is tossing our way.
#2.   It's a great way to shake out your legs... and get your body out of a rut, if you haven't ridden in a few days.  It's also a nice little wake up call, without totally shocking your system.
#3.  It's a great skills exercise... 
#4.  It's a cool way to break up the routine... aka, get off your butts and do something different. Not saying you're getting stale... but... just saying... 

Here's a sprint workout for you to cut your teeth on, if you don't have one in your hip pocket;

10 - 15 minute warm up.... start out in your little ring, then get in the big ring, top of the cog in the back.  

You will be doing a total of 8 sprints...  Each sprint will be no longer than 15 - 20 seconds in time...  after each sprint... you will take a 2 minute rest.  Not a... lay in the grass and take a nap rest!  But a noodle, go really slow, let your heart rate drop to the floor rest.

The goal is to be totally rested in between each sprint!!!  You can mix and match these sprints as you like. 

Then... you warm down for 10 - 15 mins and your are done! 

3 x spinners -   The idea is to spin out the gear at a super high cadence while staying the saddle the entire time.  

Yes...  I realize your butt will be bouncing like a rubber ball... all over the saddle, but that's not my problem! 

So, you will be in the big ring in the front... but stay near the top of the cog in the back... and wind it up and spin the hell out of it.  And, let those legs  burn!!!!
  
3 x seated sprints - You can shift gears for these sprints... but stay in the saddle!

2 x jumps - These are full out sprints!  Anything goes... you can get out of the saddle, stay in the saddle, stand on the handle bars... I don't care... just do them all out. 

Remember... take you full 2 minute break (the break translates into you just noodling around) in between each sprint... or...  the next sprint is garbage!  
  

Here are a few motivating photos to get you off your butts and out on your bikes! 





Have fun out there, Ride Safe

I'll Talk with you all soon

The Peanut Gallery