Saturday, March 10, 2012


The Great Debate –   Heart Rate vs. Power Meter 


Many of you, out there in Peanut Gallery Land may think this Blog is a nonstarter… by saying…

“COME ON SARVARY!”  DON’T WASTE OUR TIME!  EVERYONE KNOWS HANDS DOWN THE POWER METER IS A WAY BETTER TRAINING OPTION!   NEXT TOPIC!!!!

Well you may be right… but then again, you may only be half right.

So before you get too comfortable sitting in your “I know everything on the subject of the Power Meter” chair… let’s be sure you do know everything… because I sure didn’t.

Admittedly…  I am a rabid fan of the Heart Rate Monitor.  I have trained and raced with one for years and despite owning a bike shop, I have found no reason to change what has been working for me up to this point.

With that said;  there are lots of folks, who have never trained with either a HR monitor, nor a Power Meter and are trying to make the decision on which direction to go…  and here are the pictures that may be popping up in their heads…



Power Meter….   Just like strapping an Acme Power Rocket to my butt!!!  Kick ass power!  Yeah, baby…  I want one of those!!!!   


OR
A Heart Rate Monitor….   Simple, elegant, no unnecessary weight.  Just me and the sound of my heartbeat to keep me company.  Let’s go drive our Lactate threshold through the roof and go get some prize money!!!




So…  Here’s what happens if you get overly enthusiastic and run out and buy either of these little babies and forget a few important points before the purchase.

Important note:  For the most part… I try to keep my language pretty clean in these blogs (for those of you who know me… that is no easy task) … but this is Wile E. Coyote’s sign… not mine, and it was just too funny to pass up.   So I am taking a bad language mulligan.


#1.  With either device… You are ultimately the motor.  Neither the Power Meter, nor the Heart Rate Monitor will “make you faster”.  They are important tools to help you improve and show you “how” to go faster.  But you and you 
alone are the motor.



#2.  Both Devices will require base lines for them to be useful to you.  Without a baseline, you will be shooting in the dark and will have no reference points in which to train by.

#3.  The data can be complicated (particularly with a Power Meter) to interpret.  Some of the more advanced (and higher priced) HR Monitors allow for lots and lots of data to be uploaded to the web or your computer, to be analyzed after your rides/races.  If that’s not what you are looking for… then you may be spending money for a device that turns into an overpriced bike computer.  

As a shop….

We build lots and lots of custom wheels with Power Taps, and other versions of Power Meters for our customers:





So, I know that Power Meters (along with Heart Rate Monitors) are both very popular training tools… so, I decided to do some research and do my very best in putting my personal opinions aside and take a very unbiased approach in providing you all with an overview of what I discovered…  

Okay, here’s the deal.

On the subject of Power Meters… there is/are a bunch of articles and of course like a certain part of our anatomy… it seems that everyone has an opinion on the subject (who would have guessed!).

I thought some of the articles were better than others… so as I have in other blogs, I will share a few links, paraphrased, shamelessly cut and pasted and given vague credit to the authors who did the real work.  Have I sufficiently covered my butt yet???   No… oh, whatever… 

Let’s first define what each device measures and then we’ll get into what my research uncovered.

Power Meters:    Measure Power output expressed in watts.  Power meters come in different shapes and sizes and different ways of measuring power; including bottom bracket torque, rear wheel hub torque and chain tension.

Pros
  Provides you with a second by second diary

     Power meters can reveal training weaknesses


Cons
     Can be prohibitively expensive

      Power Data can be complicated and difficult to interpret

     Is not 100% reliable and can malfunction


Heart Rate Monitor Measures:   Measures your heart rate based on workout intensity, and is expressed in number of beats per minute. 

Pros
    Heart rate has a direct correlation to lactate threshold

   Wearing a heart rate monitor is a non-invasive way to monitor this factor 

         For longer distances, heart rate is often used to determine optimal intensity

 Cons

        Heart rate monitor does not provide instant feedback, specifically during shorter intervals

      It is often worthless to use heart rate as an indication of “work” as it takes too long for the heart rate to catch up

       Conditions such as stress and other external factors can impact the HR monitor

    
Among all the opinions, pro and cons and general confusion on the subject... I did discover one huge AHHH HAAA! that I did not expect to find and some of you might find this interesting.

There were 2 separate “independent” studies conducted on the subject of HR Monitors and Power Meters trying to determine if one of the devices delivered better results over the other, for athletes:

One study took 21 athletes over four weeks, half the riders performed intervals at 80 percent of their peak power while the other group used their heart-rate readings that coincided with 80 percent of peak power. Their twice-a-week workouts consisted of eight four-minute intervals with 90 seconds of rest. The 
cyclists also rode 40 km time trials before and after the training period to assess their power and performance improvements. 

The Details of the second study were not shared but the results were the same…

Both studies, concluded that neither group performed better than the other.  Actually, the group of 21 Athletes (the athletes with HR Monitors, improved 2.5% over the group with Power Meters… but that’s too small of a % of improvement to count in my book).  

Bottom line...  There was no significant training advantage found in the use of one training device over the other.   
 
The majority of the guys on the tour race with HR monitors and train with some combination of HR Monitor and Power Meter.

Bottom line, you can’t go wrong with either but as I mentioned earlier,  you must establish a base line to get anything out of the equipment you purchase.  It will make you a better rider.

I mentioned earlier in this Blog that I train with a HR Monitor… specifically, I train with a Garmin Edge 800 HR monitor.  That’s not what makes me go fast… what makes me go fast is that I train year in and year out on a program based on heart rate zone training. 

Remember when I said earlier that you need a base line???  Well, I had a base line test done on me, by my coach.  That base line test is called a Conconi Test…

A  Conconi-Test is a practical method, of defining your Lactate Threshold LT (as Heart Rate or Power Level at the anaerobic/aerobic threshold).  This can then be used to define your Training Zones.   

So, despite the known weaknesses of the HR Monitor (HR Lag, the fact that HR reading can be slightly elevated due to heat, stress, etc.) my training is totally centered around a HR Monitor system and my HR Zones.

Blue Steel Cyclery will be providing Base Line Testing in the very near future 

Our goal as a shop is to start with HR Monitor Base Line Testing (Conconi Testing) in the next few weeks and then over time add Base Line Power Meter Testing. 

So stay tuned, we’ll let you know as soon as we have that up and running.

Have fun out there, Ride safe.

Talk to you soon,

The Peanut Gallery



  Of all the articles I researched and referenced in this blog, the link below is one of the better ones…

http://thesportfactory.com/site/trainingnews/Should_I_Buy_a_Power_Meter.shtml


Peanut