Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 1 Written Course Review

Okay Sports Fans...  I thought I was getting better at this blogging stuff ... but after taking over 2 hours to upload pictures to my blog, I realize I am still far from becoming an expert at this stuff.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm not a total techno boob... I do know how to upload photos, it's getting the little footnotes to load up under the correct photo that turned out to be the real challenge.  I came dangerously close to tossing the entire computer out the window when voila... I banged on a few keys and stumbled across the solution, (isn't that the way it normally works?).

This course as any course does... will change both in condition and makeup as the days and races pass.  The farther into the week we go, the faster the course will get (assuming the weather holds in it's current pattern, which calls for dry days an cold nights).

My initial reaction to the course as it stands right now, can be summed up in 3 words... "I like it". 
The course has a fair bit of elevation gain and that will serve up a lot of pain to a lot of folks...

As of yesterday the course had a fair bit of ice, but it was actively thawing and where there was ice we know there will be mud.  The nights will be cold enough to freeze the ground and by the time I hit the course, there will be lots of frozen ruts and where it's not frozen, it will be greasy or at a minmum som variation of wet. 

Karen's course conditions will be slightly different but similar.    

Today's races are scheduled to be finished by 4:00... so we will be jumping on the course this afternoon to see what a day of racing has done to change the course conditions.  What ever it looks like tonight, will be what it looks like tomorrow but it a frozen, slightly crustier version :).

Yesterday we road our front line bikes on the course, today our backup bikes will get checked out... everything will get tested before race day to ensure everthing is operational.